Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Journey: to I-800A

What is the I-800A?
Right now it's the next step in our journey towards getting David!
The I-800A is the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) "Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country." So basically it's the next part of our paperchase. The I-800A includes an application, home study, copies of our birth certificates, marriage certificate, and passports. Right now we're waiting on our social worker to finish the home study so we can send our packet to USCIS. It will take from 40-60 days for our I-800A to be processed and reviewed.
What happens after you get the I-800A?
Once the I-800A is approved (hopefully there won't be any problems, our agency goes through everything very carefully) USCIS will send us an appointment to get our biometrics (fingerprints) taken in Fort Worth.
So what do you do now?
We WAIT! for the I-800A to be mailed and approved- yuck! The I-800A is not the final step to travel, there are plenty more.
We PRAY! We pray for David and the people who are caring for him in China. We pray for his heart, that the hole will close and he will continue to be healthy.
We SHOP! We have a little boys room to set up. We haven't settled on a "theme" but have been looking a lot. We've picked out the crib/toddler bed/full bed as well as furniture for his room. His first Baylor gear has been purchased.
We READ! There are books, blogs and many websites to read. I especially like reading blogs of people who are home from China with their new families!
We PREPARE! We have books to read, friends to talk to and decisions to be made about David's care after the summer and I start back to work. We have to decide on a pediatrician and pediatric cardiologist. We have to child proof our house- plug covers, cabinet locks and stair gates, oh my!
So, you can see we have plenty to keep us busy but the waiting is hard. I especially am ready to get the I-800A sent since that MUST be done next.
We BLOG! I'm going to try and keep things updated with where we are in our process and the fun of the holidays.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I am super excited for you and Steve! David is a very blessed little boy to have been matched with y'all!

Herndon Home said...

Cindy, I have a dear friend that has adopted 2 children from China, one older and one younger. If you are interested I can get you her contact info and you can talk with her. She would be a great resource for any help or questions you might have. Send me a message on fb if interested.

dorthea

Kate in Austin said...

What a loved little boy David is already. He is precious Cindy. I'm so happy for you, Steve and David.