Friday, June 26, 2009

A Sad Day

My granddad, Pablo Segura, passed away early this morning. I was able to see him on Saturday along with all of his 4 kids and 7 grandkids. I am thankful he got to be at home when he died. He had been in the hospital for a few days before but we all knew he wanted to be home.

I am thankful for the legacy he left behind. Family was the most important thing in his life and he made sure that his grandkids knew that. He also always talked about the importance of education as well. He worked very hard to complete his education at a time when it wasn't usual for a Mexican American to go to college. He started college, left to fight in the war, and went back to finish. I know the next few days are going to be difficult but I look forward to remembering who he was.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

So sorry, Cindy. Sounds like you had an amazing grandad that left quite a legacy.

Michael & Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We'll be praying for you and your family.

Crystal said...

My prayers are with you and the family.

Jessica said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have such wonderful memories of him to treasure. Your family will be in my prayers as you grieve together.

Kelly said...

Praying for you...

Helen Ruth said...

Aww Cindy! He seemed like such a special guy! I wish I could have met him! I'm glad you had such a special relationship with your grandpa too!!

R. Keith Bullock said...

My prayers are with you and your family during this loss. Your grandfather left a strong importance on education that lives in you.